Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Confederate Mandarin Orange Cake

I am a Yankee to the core, but there are some things about the South that just can't be beat--& I do NOT mean General Lee!


I know this blog seems scattered at times, but take my word on it--we got fireworks, music, flag decorations and a great cake recipe that is as deeply southern as---well--maybe hush puppies.


This used to be on the table every July 4th, and I am thinking it may make a return visit this year.


It goes by several names, including Pig-Picking Cake, but I think my mom used to call it a Sunflower cake. There are a ton of different versions of this cake--I will give another one tomorrow--but here is the basic:



MANDARIN ORANGE CAKE

1 pkg. yellow or orange cake mix
1 can undrained mandarin oranges (11 oz.)
1/2 c. salad oil
4 eggs
Beat ingredients on medium speed for 4 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
FROSTING:
1 sm. can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 sm. pkg. instant vanilla pudding
Whipped topping as needed
Combine undrained crushed pineapple and pudding. Mix well, fold in whipping cream. Spread on cooled cake. You may decorate with mandarin oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment