Friday, February 3, 2012

Battle of the Crater is Up

The man to the right is Colonel Pleasants, whose Pennsylvania troops besieging Petersburg came up with the idea of digging a tunnel under "Fort Pegram," and exploding it.

The story is interesting, certainly. What is most compelling is the USCT's 28th, which was trained as the leading division of the charge set to begin just as the dynamite began to blow.

At the last moment, there was a change in the order of battle, and chaos was the result.

I know this, in part, because I read Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen's book, The Battle of the Crater. I even reviewed it, for emergingcivilwar.com. It is up right now, so click on over and read it. Please.

I am getting very concerned. I have said nice things about both Bill O'Reilly and Newt Gingrich lately. Strange. Very strange.

I don't think it indicates a trend, however. At least I hope not.

War Chickens this weekend!

PS--Battle of the Crater WAS up, but had a technical difficulty--the grand fellows at ECW are coaching me, and my screw-up--er--technical difficulty, will be overcome, I am sure. Meanwhile, check them out anyway--Caity Stuart (I think that is how her last name is spelled) has a picture of the 54th MA monument, and a pertinent SuperBowl analogy. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment