Monday, January 30, 2012

Piecing the Book

The image to the right is from a blog concerning Civil War Quilts, written by Barbara Brackman.
http://civilwarquilts.
blogspot.com/


Her blog is a work of art in itself, and the quilts are inspiring pieces of magnificence. Since I am writing about a Union soldier, Colonel Elmer Ellsworth, I chose a Union-themed quilt to illustrate my own theme.

The book is written. It has been rewritten twice, chapter by chapter. Now it is time to "piece" it together. Starting with Chapter 1, and working toward Chapter 15, I am checking when something is first mentioned, or if I have multiple, redundant references to something else.

Usually I try to stay away from the word "something." It doesn't say very much, IMHO. But there are so many details to keep track of, and each one is "some thing" in and of itself. Does it matter if the Ellsworth family horse was named Mink? I think so. Mentioning it 3 times, however, seems excessive.

So, tiny stitch by tiny stitch, I am piecing the book together as a whole.

It's a good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment