Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Not Just For New Year's Day

Although this post is a day late, technically, the great news about Emerging Civil War took precedence. I am still basking in the glow of being Third Runner-Up!!

There will be another book review up soon on ECW. This time it is an audio book, and one I thoroughly enjoyed reviewing. The idea of ME reviewing a book by Bill O'Reilly--well, it just takes my breath away--LOL!!

The latest post I have on ECW is called "Resolutions Are Not Just For New Year's Day." It is about the infamous Golden Resolutions of Colonel Elmer Ellsworth. He made all the U. S. Zouave Cadets, during the summer tour of 1860, agree to these. If found breaking one, the guilty Cadet would be given a "cheap suit of clothes," and a third class ticket back to Chicago. His name would be in the press, and he would be publicly shamed.

I have always found the threat of shame to be a great deterrent to the carrying out of all sorts of bad ideas. Apparently Colonel Ellsworth and I agree.

Here is the link:
http://emergingcivilwar.com/2012/01/03/resolutions-are-not-just-for-new-years-day/

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blogs hithertofore, however, I am curious if these Golden Resolutions would would help people put their lives in order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either they will help, or they were adopted by AA--My favorite is the ban on billiards. "Billiards--the Gateway Vice!!"

    ReplyDelete