Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Longfellow and Christmas Bells

I hope everyone enjoyed the post on Emerging Civil War about Nast's Santa Claus. I enjoyed doing it.

The next offering will be the story of how Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, "Christmas Bells," became the Christmas carol, "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." The story is interesting, and the two missing stanzas about the Civil War from the original poem are included.

I just applied to APU for entrance to their Military History Masters program. I am not sure just when I graduated from college, as I worked full time and got my teaching credential, too. I hope they will figure it out. Yes, it is expensive, but nowhere near some other programs, and they offer s specialization in the Civil War, which is what I want.

Truth be told, I can't even think of retiring. I am going to have to die at a desk somewhere, and if I can't teach in Middle School or High School, there is the college system. Maybe I can get a gig there. I love teaching, so it is no big deal, but this economy cuts one's options right down to the bone! 1837 all over again, except it may go on for years.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment