Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Home Run Quickstep

One of the tunes on my current favorite CD of Brass Band music is called the "Home Run Quickstep."


I found it difficult to understand, frankly. There is a bell that rings at odd times during the song. The bell is sort of like one of those that works like a buzzer. I am not explaining this very well. Sorry.


Anyway, during my investigations into Civil War Base Ball I found out that an Ace (a run) was announced to the audience by the ringing of a bell! 


So, the whole point of the piece of music is the bell--exactly the point I was not understanding. 


Pretty cool. The piece is on an album of great tunes called Hurrah For the Union! by the Federal City Brass Band. I bought it when I was in Alexandria, but it is available at this link: http://www.nationalcivilwarbrassmusic.org/GiftShop.html


Buy it. 


Elmer would have wanted you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment